"God looked upon the world and called it good, but man was not content. He
looked for ways to make it better and built machines to do the work. But in vain
we build the world, unless the builder also grows."
- 'I, Robot', 'Outer Limits' S2E9, 1964
"Go on... to the gallows... run... to the gallows!"
- Samson Shillitoe (Sean Connery)
'A Fine Madness', 1966 (Film)
Let's just call 'em a "delivery man"...
Just over a brief rise and around a short curve in the narrow, a bit rugged, rocky, single lane dirt road. A few hundred feet ahead sets a parked van. Route blocking. No way around 'em. Just outside the drivers door stands the lone occupant for whatever reason. He spots us, quickly flicks his cigarette into the adjacent woods, and bee lines it back to his vehicle. He's got several hundred feet of reverse backtracking to a narrow pull off to let us pass. We have maybe a third of that distance to similar. He takes the initiative. Responding in kind, we give 'em a toot of the horn and wave 'em on thru. In very tight passing he stops and offers his condolence for blocking the path...
"Sorry... I stopped to take a quick smoke break. Didn't expect anyone to be passing by this early. They (his company) have this !!##'n van so rigged with AI that I can't do anything. Follows me with GPS. Monitors speed, time and every stop I make. Has an interior headliner sensor that detects any smoke so ya' can't smoke inside. Even has an eye tracking sensor that monitors where you're lookin', your pupils and how often ya' blink. Along with an interior video camera. I guess that they think that we're out ridin' around party'n all day... so I gotta' stop and get out if I want a smoke!"
"F*k that!" we respond, and part ways.
Our destination a little over an hour later...
Good
No comments:
Post a Comment