Saturday, July 27, 2013

Attack of the Ants

Man, been raining around here consistently for at least the past six weeks - and mostly an extended heavy downpour when it does. Was boiling some water for breakfast tea last weekend. Walk over to the sinktop to toss a teabag in the cup - What!!?? - there's a large army of "miniature ants" marching single file across the countertop and "congregating" in the sinkbowl - now what??!!!  Never saw anything like these - all about 1/32 to 1/16 inch long - light brown. Sweep 'em all into the sinkbowl, grab the sinkhose and flush 'em "down the drain"....

.... next morning - same thing...

... that evening - now they're on the kitchen table - in the dogs foodbowl - and in my dinner (rice), as I don't notice until "dining" - f*k it! - it's late and I'm starvin'!! - ate the rice (and Salmon steak - no way I'm throwin' this meal out) - separatin' the rice and ants as I go (sure I missed a few - no big deal -  probably pretty nutritious, eatin' them alive and all - I'm still living so far)...

... this been goin' on now for three days - where they comin' from? Figure that all the rain has driven them to higher ground, so they figured that they'd check into a "hotel" until the flood waters recede...

... later found that they are (now?) infested in a bag of dog food that I previousely purchased - having never seen these small ants ever in my lifetime (I'm used to the standard size "Piss Ant" or larger "Black" or "Red Ant"), and considering all the crap dog and cat food that comes from China now'days (what ever happened to 'Wayne Feeds' that used to operate probably ten miles away in 'Everson, PA'?)  I'm pissed and figurin' that their "imports" who entered via the bag of dog food....

... I gotta' know - search "miniature ants" on line - these things are either "Pharaoh" or "Thief" Ants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant) - imports none the less, but been around for awhile - OK - I'll give the Chinamen a pass for now... also says not to spray 'em with bug spray - you'll risk splitting the "colony" into two "divisions"- or four, or eight...Uh-Oh - they're logarithmic? - "objective knowledge-types"? - maybe I'm right ...

Synopsis: Figure that I lucked out with them "congregating" to the bag of dog food - was like a trap - took it outside overnight and "observed" the activity 'till noon the next day - was loaded up with 'em - tossed the bag in the trash and sprayed it down pretty good with "ant-killer spray" - been a week and haven't "seen a one"....

... here's a photo of one - looking back, I missed a good opportunity to get some good shots of these guys - the "safari" moving across the sink countertop was pretty impressive (although, not at the time)....

...HA!.. reminds me of a very favorite classic story - 'Leiningen and the Ants' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiningen_Versus_the_Ants) - although on a much smaller scale.... 

... was also made into a pretty good movie, "The Naked Jungle", with 'Charlton Heston and a "smokin' hot" Eleanor Parker....

... Whoa!! - go Chuck!!..."from my cold, dead hands....!!"

... check it out if ya' get the chance....

No comments:

Post a Comment