Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bruno the Ig Slayer

Update 06/29/13: Between the date of this original post and today it look's as if the 'Bluejays' have got "LG" (I'll explain) "corralled" - don't know what I missed, but for about the past week and a half he's lost all interest in 'em. Any other bird lands within his vicinity, he immediately goes into his "crouching" attack stance. If he notices that it is a Bluejay however - he ignores it - lays there and continues licking his paws -  is pretty funny - they'll bravely land as close as ten feet to him and nonchalantly peck around.  Doesn't even go near their "territory" - a cherry tree out back, which they defend like a nest of hornets. Pretty viscous as well to any bird that lands in that tree (when they're around - recently they sometimes all disappear for a day or two). Never saw a Bluejay nesting around here until three years ago - then there was one. The following year there was two. Now this year I have counted eight hanging out at the "tree" -  they always keep at least one "one guard " when they're there.

Was returning from a day of river paddling last week. Was passing the parking area for a popular local river "hangout" and ran in to a guy that I hadn't seen for over twenty years unloading a cooler. "Hey, come on down and drink a beer and Bullsh*t for awhile!" says he.... We're hangin' out and I'm noticing three younger gals (that each fit nicely in a small two-piece bathing suit) that keep lookin' my way and talkin' back and forth like something "interests them". Uh-Oh! - here comes one strollin' over our way (very nice purple bikini) - straight toward me (I quickly "suck in my gut") - "Hey! Are you the guy that has "LG"?".... "What?" I reply..... "Are you the guy that has "LG"?" - now my mind's racin' - "LG"? - I'm thinkin' fast - "L" could be "long" - that checks - "G"?...G?...G?... I give up - "What are you talkin' about!?... "Are you the guy that has "LG the Cat"? ("Ig" the Cat if I have to explain)... "OH! Yea - that's me!"... (good work, Ig, I'm thinkin') - she then proceeds to ask me a dozen questions about one of the guys who's photo she's noticed on the website... (boo-hoo-hoo!!)....

Original Post: Boring as sh*t day - half and half rain and no rain. Stepped out on the back porch earlier to enjoy a drink and a smoke. Watched a Mourning Dove land on a limb in the neighbors cherry tree - BOOM!! - immediately out of nowhere another bird rockets in and knocks the Dove completely off the limb and on it's ass to the ground. Thought it was a Hawk at first - happened so fast - saw that it was a Bluejay (?) - came to a screeching halt atop the other neighbors garage roof - walked down to check on the Dove - dead as a doornail (or so I thought).... I figure that the Bluejay(s) have a nest in that tree - 'Ig the Cat' been drivin' them crazy the past few weeks climbin' the tree and leapin' from limb to limb - really pissin' them off - they "dive-bomb" him like crazy - went back and looked - don't see any nest, but there's a few "crooks" that are hard to peer into - must have it well hidden...

... was out back at the garage a little later gettin' Stinkman some air and enjoyin' another "beverage". Just happen to look over - there's the "dead" Dove up on his feet! - he takes a short flight and lands on the garage roof - was only "stunned" - he was still there after about a half hour, so I figured that I would grab a photo if possible - strutted into the house to grab the camera and another "beverage" - came back out - still there - snapped one photo and he was gone....

... about ten minutes later the Bluejays are "losing it" - here come Ig rocketing down thru the yard and hops the neighbors chain-link fence - a very pissed Bluejay in chase inches from his ass... luckily I still had the camera and was able to fire a few photos (however, none near as good as the ones I missed)...

... here's the Dove back on his feet... (pretty sure it's a Dove - always had a lot of respect for those that could accurately identify birds, trees and plants - never been really good at it - that's what is good about havin' Tim and Laura available - I just contact and ask them now'days)...

... don't know the bird's real name - however, any bird that tough just gotta' be named 'Bruno' - been watchin' this play out the past week or two - he definitely carries the fight to the cat...

... Ha! Bruno got Ig down and backin' off...

BRUNO!!!!....

... that's entertainment!!!!!!....

No comments:

Post a Comment