Monday, September 7, 2015

Still More Bees

... was walkin' out the front door the other day when the neighbor hollered to come on over and "take a look at this!"...

... large swarm of 'Carpenter Bees' - probably 60+ in number - were takin' advantage of his recently blooming pink landscape flowers... don't know what the name is for the plant - said they were growing wild around the place where his mother worked - the place was getting ready to add some new building additions which would involve leveling the ground where many of these were growing - so a lot of the employees were digging them up and taking them home to plant around their property - he was in need of some "shrubbery" so he wound up with a few...

... decided to grab a few images...

... the bees were all pretty large - at least an inch in length...

... I was gettin' in pretty close, so this guy decided to come out and see what I was up to - kept circling and was gettin' right in my face - but I guess he determined that I was 'OK' and kept it at that...

... tried to get a few "macro shots" of hovering insects, but couldn't get anything in acceptable focus - the previous photo was the best I could do - they all were starting to get a little agitated by my rapid movements, so I gave up on that - didn't want to provoke 'em - I was definitely outnumbered and it was a long run for cover - so I stuck with the "semi-static" shots...


... although I'm sure that any of the neighbors watchin' were anticipating (and hoping for) a mad dash up the street with a swarm of bees stinging my ass (for their viewing pleasure) - sort of like waiting for a 'NASCAR' crash...

No comments:

Post a Comment