Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fallen Sparrow

Have three, hollow, 'light gauge steel' columns that support the front porch roof of the 'homestead'. One day a while back I arrive home and am headin' in the front porch gate, totin' a 30-pack of PBR's. "What's all that annoying 'scratchin' and scrapin' I'm hearing?"  - Man!! - close inspection finds that a (small) bird has somehow found it's way into the interior of the middle column, and is apparently 'trapped'. I investigate - whoever installed these things (not me) left a small gap at the top - apparently big enough for a small bird to enter - and a "death trap". Man - this sucks - but nothin' I can do - "trials of life" I figure - as I've agonizingly come to accept as fate to our beloved wildlife over "lo these many years".....

... this is now starting to blow - into day three - and this poor "creach'ter" ain't givin' up - and I can no longer put up with his suffering - what to do? - I can insert a water hose through the top and quickly end it - easy for me - he deserves better - gotta' get 'em out of there. I got a high-lift jack - with some wood blocking I may be able to raise the roof and post a few inches - I give it a try - no good - several notches on the jack and the whole roof is creakin' and crackin' and threatening to detach - and I gotta' go at least another four inches....

... another brilliant idea! - I drill a 1/4 inch hole in the column and attempt to saw cut an opening in the  bottom using a hand-held electric saber saw - no good, either - the blade is at least three inches long - if I don't "slice and dice" the poor guy, the noise will definitely end him...

... hey - punchin' the drill hole is a start - I continue a single high and wide hole pattern, about an 'eighth inch apart - then grab a cold chisel and "tap out" the separations - quickly get a "door"...

... peel back the metal and peer in - a small Sparrow - "heavin' and huffin" like no tomorrow, first daylight in at least three days - gotta' be heaven....

.... he ain't budgin' - I reach in and give him a tap on the rear - ZOOM! - out he flies - 'bout takes off my ear! - he's gone...

...  for a rest of the season I got this small Sparrow hangin' out - can't get rid of him - will fly right down and set five feet away with no fear - even went as far as to build a nest in the "dilapidated" roll-up porch blind which I eventually scrapped - he'd set there in his nest even at night - three feet away as I'd set on the front porch swing...

... there he is - bad shot - but was pressed for time... just opened the "escape hatch", and he's ready to book...

... the column to the left was his "tomb" - he came back and built this nest...that's him in there...

... this just gotta' help out when eventually "on the carpet"....

No comments:

Post a Comment